Great news comes out of the Senate, where Hilda Solis was just confirmed as President Obama's Secretary of Labor. You can send a note of thanks to the Senate for confirming Rep. Solis.
As SEIU President Andy Stern stated in his previous endorsements of Solis, she is the embodiment of the American Dream. "As the daughter of two immigrant workers and union members who met in a citizenship class, today's vote to confirm Hilda Solis as Secretary of Labor proves the American Dream is still alive. Working men and women now have a Department of Labor they can count on to stand up and fight for them because Secretary Solis personally understands the challenges workers face in a global economy. For Secretary Solis this is not just another job, but the culmination of a lifetime of action serving as a voice for people who work," said Stern following today's bipartisan vote by the U.S. Senate to confirm Hilda Solis as the next Secretary of Labor.
SEIU pushed for Hilda Solis to be confirmed as Secretary of Labor and took action to urge others to join in. More than 10,000 people called for Hilda Solis to be confirmed as our next Secretary of Labor -- and now, she has been.
Watch this video to find out more about Hilda Solis:
Solis has never forgotten her roots in her public service career, and her confirmation is a win for the people of this country who get up and go to work every day. "As a member of the California Legislature, Solis pushed for pay equity legislation," said SEIU's Secretary-Treasurer Anna Burger when she was first nominated. "She also marched with our union in Los Angeles to support low-income workers, many of them women, because she wanted them to have the same opportunities she has had."
Leading up to today's vote, SEIU has been an outspoken leader in demanding a full vote on Secretary Solis.
- SEIU-organized coalition delivered more than 22,500 petition signatures to Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Chairman Senator Kennedy and Ranking Member Senator Enzi.
- More than 9,000 letters sent to the Senate from SEIU online activists in just the last 24 hours.
- More than 200 minutes of phone calls to Senate office over the past 24 hours.
- SEIU and progressive allies organized a half-dozen leading national blogs to contact Congress before vote.
- SEIU produced four YouTube videos in support of Solis in the last month, generating more than 20,000 online views.