Melissa Ryan sent in the picture on the left from today's rally, where thousands of Wisconsin residents and public service workers showed up at the Capitol in Madison to petition their government for redress of grievances against Gov. Scott Walker's budget proposals. From inside the Capitol, Emily Mills posted this photo of the rotunda completely packed with opponents of the budget cuts. I'm told that people made themselves heard today.
And though the attacks on workers' rights in Walker's budget excluded firefighters, Jessica Arp from WISC-TV saw Madison Firefighters showing up in force to support fellow public servants. Arp's Twitter report said the firefighters' arrival was greeted with "huge cheers."
We can't wait to see what the rallies will be like tomorrow! If you live near Madison, WI, and would like to join in yourself, you can find the details on Facebook, or RSVP with SEIU Healthcare Wisconsin for more information and future updates. If you're in Wisconsin and can't make it, or don't live near Madison, you can always call your State Senator.
Now, for your reading enjoyment, the following roundup of online news and comments from the very active Wisconsin netroots, as well as a clip from the Ed Schultz show where the Lutes family talks about how Walker's budget cuts will affect their work as public school teachers.
- Top 10 Things You Should Know about Scott Walker's Budget Repair Bill, by David Huttleston Sr. at Bargaining for Benefits
- This is what democracy looks like, Scott Walker, still a union buster, Wisconsin veteran speaks out against Gv. walker's threatened use of National Guard, on Blogging Blue
- Unpopular Scott Walker about to become even-more-unpopular Scott Walker, on Brew City Brawler
- Ohio bill gives clues as to what Scott Walker has in store for Wisconsin unions, at Blue Cheddar
- Scott Walker wants the National Guard to work as union-busters, at The Chief
- Scott Walker's Wisconsin - one only he can believe in, Today's history lesson, And now for the REAL facts about public sector workers, at Cognitive Dissidence
- Video: Madison East High School students walk out, march nearly three miles, Wisconsin state worker: The cost of Walker's proposals, Walker: stand up for the rigts of public service workers, at dane101
- Walker's impending assault on state workers won't create jobs, at Emily's Post
- Despotic bill not about a budget, at Eye On Wisconsin
- Anti-Scott Walker round up, Video from today's labor rally at Wisconsin's Capitol, Peter Rickman responds to Scott Walker's attack on the University of Wisconsin, at Forward Lookout
- A guide to social media campaigns against Scott Walker's agenda for Wisconsin public unions, at the Isthmus
- GOP declares war on Wisconsin citizens, Gov Walker, how about capping all political appointments salaries?, at MAL Contends
- Here come the cuts: now what are we supposed to do?, at Milwaukee Rising
- Walker the Governor mocked by Walker the Candidate, at The Political Environment
- Walker ignores other options, puts burden on public service employees, at Political Heat
- The revolution comes to Wisconsin, at the Racine Post
- Walker budget repair bill rally and lobbying, Budget repair summary, at Uppity Wisconsin
- Governor Walker: There are better options for Wisconsin, at Waxing America
- Care about educators like they care for your child, at Wisconsin Sports Network
- The fight for state workers is on in Wisconsin, at DailyKos
- Debate over Wisconsin collective bargaining gets heated as Republicans waver, at FireDogLake