Senators Block Buffett Rule, Side With the 1%

Senators Block Buffett Rule, Side With the 1%

Published 8:44 PM Eastern - Monday, April 16, 2012

Tyler Prell, 202-701-5796

WASHINGTON, DC - Service Employees International Union (SEIU) International President Mary Kay Henry issued the following statement after a minority of Senators blocked the "Paying a Fair Share Act," also known as the "Buffett Rule:"

"On the eve of Tax Day, members of the U.S. Senate faced a choice when voting on the Buffett Rule - stand with the 99 percent or protect the top 1 percent. When the votes were tallied, 45 Senators chose to allow millionaires to dodge paying their fair share in taxes and 51 chose to side with the rest of us - the 99 percent.

"The Buffett Rule is about the fundamental American value of fairness. Senators who voted against this bill believe that regular, hardworking Americans should continue paying higher tax rates than millionaires. That's simply not fair. We cannot allow millionaires to avoid paying their fair share while telling our seniors to live on less, ignoring our dilapidated infrastructure and closing down schools.

"President Obama and Senator Whitehouse deserve enormous credit for making tax fairness central to our national debate about how to address dramatic income inequality. They put the Buffett Rule on the map. That is why today's vote is one that Senators who sided with the 1 percent will have a tough time justifying to their constituents since an overwhelming majority of Americans support the Buffett Rule."

# # #
With 2.1 million members in Canada, the United States and Puerto Rico, SEIU is the fastest-growing union in the Americas. Focused on uniting workers in healthcare, public services and property services, SEIU members are winning better wages, healthcare and more secure jobs for our communities, while uniting their strength with their counterparts around the world to help ensure that workers--not just corporations and CEOs--benefit from today's global economy.

Spread the word