10:56 AM Eastern - Friday, August 31, 2012

Countdown to Charlotte: SEIU Member Delegate Stan Slepoy #default

We continue to count down to the 2012 Democratic National Convention. Joining party activists from across the nation will be almost 100 SEIU members and leaders, including Stan Slepoy, a member of National Association of Government Employees (NAGE) / SEIU Local 5000.

Stan has worked for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation for 24 years and knows the commitment that President Obama has made to making sure that public workers are respected on the job and receive the benefits that they have earned.

"The budgets that have been proposed by Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are devastating to police, firefighters, teachers and other public workers" said Stan. "They both have endorsed the attack on public workers by Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and other right-wing politicians across the nation."

Stan is a delegate to the convention and active in local and national political campaigns because he believes that working people need be engaged and make sure their values are represented in government.

"Anti-worker politicians get elected to office because working people don't get involved and don't vote," said Stan. "We all need to make sure that we are active, so we can fight back against the attacks on public workers."

Stan is also very appreciative of the reforms that President Obama helped pass under the Affordable Care Act. He has three young adult children, and thanks to the ACA, he is able to keep two of his children on his insurance plan and provide them coverage.

Stan is very concerned about the right-wing attack on Social Security and Medicare. Because he is 54, he wouldn't be grand-fathered under the Ryan plan and faces the danger of having to retire with no access to affordable healthcare.

"I've been paying into the Medicare and Social Security system my entire working life," said Stan. "Why should I get punished? Why should they cut my access to healthcare, while millionaires and the rest of the 1% don't pay their fair share of taxes? This is why I am going to Charlotte and why I am working to re-elect President Obama. Working people and the rest of the 99% need him so we can build a better future for everyone.
 

Spread the word

Comments about Countdown to Charlotte: SEIU Member Delegate Stan Slepoy are welcome. Off-topic comments and other violations of our community guidelines may be withheld or removed. Comments do not appear immediately after posting.
blog comments powered by Disqus